Samara Shuter is a contemporary Canadian artist known for her striking paintings of men’s suits and large-scale pieces fuse stylized figurative work with intricately abstracted patterns. Working with companies such as Harry Rosen, Timberland Shoes, Facebook, Saks Fifth Avenue and the Toronto International Film Festival, Shuter’s work has also been displayed her artwork at The Rockefeller Centre. We sat down with this Perrier Ambassador to learn more about her work.
We’d love to understand what drove you to forge your own career path, how you spend your free time, what social hedonism means to you and lastly, what fuels your passion.
I never wanted to be under the thumb of another person. I wanted creative freedom to learn from trial and error, and to carve my own path in a traditional industry. I love that I’m able to start from scratch everyday and turn my visions into reality while forging new relationships and helping people.
1. My pre-game essentials are… RED BULL, VODKA, GIN, PERRIER, BANANAS, GRANOLA BARS, FRUIT ROLL-UPS, STRETCH ROUTINE
2. My Festival Archetype: SPORTY SPICE READY TO JUMP AROUND, EQUIPPED WITH FANNY PACK
3. I KEEP A SPARE CONTACT, EYE DROPS, BAND-AIDS, EXTRA HAIR ELASTIC, SPARE CHANGE, ADVIL, GUM, LIP-GLOSS, BANDANA, AND GLOW STICKS WITH ME AT ALL TIMES DURING A FESTIVAL.
4. MORE THAN THE MUSIC, I LOVE PEOPLE WATCHING AND PIZZA SLICES AT
People’s unique styles and how they interact with another. I like meeting people who
Have gone out of their way to participate.
5. MY FESTIVAL STYLE IS MOST LIKE SERENA WILLIAMS ON A DAY OFF.
MY IDEAL OUTFIT CONSISTS OF COMFORTABLE RUNNING SHOES, BARELY THERE
SOCKS, 3/4 FITTED ATHLETIC PANTS, HEADBAND, SUNGLASSES, NEON SPORTS BRA
6. I ALWAYS HAVE THESE ITEMS AT A PRE… PHONE BATTERY BACKPACK
7. IF GIVEN PERRIER + ANY TWO INGREDIENTS, I’D MIX IT WITH LEMONADE + GIN.
8. MY BIGGEST FESTIVAL PET-PEEVE IS DIRTY PORTA POTTIES.
9. IF MONEY WAS NO OBJECT AND I THREW MY OWN FESTIVAL, IT WOULD BE IN
MALIBU, CALLED BODS N BEERS, AND DAVE MATTHEWS BAND OPENING FOR
FLORENCE AND THE MACHINE WOULD BE THE HEADLINE PERFORMANCE.