Nothing is more refreshing on a hot summer day than a pitcher of your favourite drink. Last weekend I wandered through the farmers market and picked up some fresh fruit and herbs to help sweeten theses classic summer cocktails with a fresh twist.
Make your backyard the hottest patio in town by stirring up these cool cocktails on warm summer night!
Sparking Strawberry Basil Margarita
• 2 cups of halved strawberries
• 1/4 cup orange juice
• 2 large of 4 small fresh basil leaves
• 1/4 cup Tequila
• 2 Tablespoons lime juice
• 2 Tablespoons agave nectar
• Perrier L’Orange & Lemon
1. Pick up a basket of ripe strawberries and cut them into smaller pieces. Place it into a pot (at least 2 quarts deep) and add fresh orange juice.
2. Bring the mixture to a boil and mash the strawberries.
3. Toss in the basil leaves and reduce the mixture to simmer for another minute and then set aside to cool.
4. Remove the basil leaves and pour the liquid into a blender until it resembles a puree.
5. Toss the mixture, your tequila of choice, lime juice and agave nectar over ice. Top with Perrier L’Orange or Lemon to taste. Mix and service garnished with a basil leaves.
Lemon Beer Shandy
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from about 4 lemons), plus wedges, for serving (optional)
• 8 mild pilsner beers (12 ounces each)
1. Combine the sugar with ¾ cup of water over medium heat in a small saucepan.
2. Stir the mixture until the sugar dissolves, this usually takes around one minute.
3. Refrigerate the mixture until it is cool.
4. In a pitcher, combine sugar mixture with fresh lemon juice.
5. Pour chilled beer in a glass. For the best taste, use a mild European-style Pilsner.
6. Add ¼ cup of the lemon mixture to each beer and enjoy!
White Wine Fruit Sangria
• 1 bottle white wine (Spanish table wine preferred)
• 3 ounces brandy
• 2 ounces triple sec
• 1 cup bottle green in mango & coconut
• 2 ounces simple syrup (Make your own simple syrup mixture by combine equal parts sugar and water to a boil on high heat for two minutes)
• Fresh fruit and other fruit to garnish your drink
Combine all of these ingredients in a pitcher, stir gently and serve over ice.