As we’re gearing up and getting ready for the Super Bowl, it’s time to think of what tasty treats to make for the big event. For something hearty and healthy, we’re simmering a pot of Pom’s Turkey Chili just in time for the big game. Here’s the recipe so you can try at home!
- Juice from 2-3 large POM Wonderful Pomegranates*, or 1 cup POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice
- 1/3 cup arils from 1 large POM Wonderful Pomegranate or POM POMS fresh pomegranate arils
- 1 4 x 4-inch double-thick piece of cheesecloth and kitchen string
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped red, yellow or green bell pepper
- 1-2 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce,** finely chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic, or 1 teaspoon pre-minced garlic
- 2 cans beef or vegetable broth (add more if needed)
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz. can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 6-oz. can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cooked turkey or diced cooked steak or beef
Shredded sharp cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- Score 1 fresh pomegranate and place in a bowl of water.
- Break open the pomegranate underwater to free the arils (seed sacs). The arils will sink to the bottom of the bowl and the membrane will float to the top.
- Wrap 1/3 cup of arils in cheesecloth and tie into a bag with kitchen string. (Refrigerate or freeze remaining arils for another use.)
- Prepare fresh pomegranate juice.*
- Place oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot and heat until hot. Saut onion, bell pepper, chilies and garlic for 3 minutes.
- Stir in broth and pomegranate juice; immerse cheesecloth bag in mixture.
- Stir in beans, tomato paste and seasonings. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer over low heat, uncovered, for 1 hour. Remove bay leaf and discard.
- Stir in turkey; simmer 3 minutes more.
- Remove cheesecloth bag and discard. Check seasoning.
- Sprinkle cheese over each serving.
- Refrigerate or freeze any leftovers in tightly sealed containers.
- Serve this pomegranate recipe.