This December marks the start of my third year as a freelance travel journalist and travel television expert. While this job looks flashy online and on television, there’s a lot that goes on behind the scenes that you don’t see. Over the last few years I’ve driven countless kilometres to and from destinations for an article and back and forth from Ottawa, Montreal and once Halifax for television interviews. That’s why I’ve decided to take the plunge and purchase a vehicle of my very own.
Since I need something compact for my travels, and would like a newer vehicle, I decided to visit Kijiji to start my search as they have a wide range of high-quality and newer inventory to choose from and have begun to narrow down the things that matter most to me in a vehicle. I turned to Kijiji because of its inventory of over 400,000 cars and vehicles listings at any given time! With that, the odds of me finding the perfect car are extremely likely.
I’ll be documenting my car-buying journey over the next few months, so you’ll see me checking out and test driving vehicles, going through the full process from my research to driving away with my new ride! Follow along on Instagram + on www.creatorscommune.com to see what I find on Kijiji!
Looking for a vehicle too? Here are my three tips to help you start your car-buying journey!
- Do your research I started off by doing my research. From customer feedback to safety inspection results, it is important to know all of the facts even before test driving a car. Whether you are buying used or new, you want to make sure the vehicle you are getting scored high on performance testing. Kijiji Central is a great place to start your research. You can browse hundreds of articles like 8 mistakes first-time car-buyers make and How to Find the Perfect Car on Kijiji that can help you throughout the process!
- Set a budget Once I realized how much the cars I was looking for cost, I set a budget to figure out how much I would need to set aside in order to purchase this vehicle. Gas? Insurance? Repairs? Be sure to factor in all upfront and additional costs when developing your budget.
- Take it for a test drive And most importantly, before you buy a car make sure you take it for a test drive. See how it drives, performs and even understand the layout of the vehicle. Is this something you can see yourself in for a few years? Be honest, what do you like about it and what do you not like about it? This is a big purchase, so be sure to take your time thinking about every detail.
It’s important to find a car that will suit your needs. To kick off my search, I am browsing on the Kijiji App, filtering by some of my top preferences to get a sense of what is available and was shocked at the wide range of options in my area.
Here is my checklist for what I’ll be looking for in a vehicle:
- Good trunk space (to fit all my TV props and luggage)
- Compact (to fit into downtown city spots and condo parking)
- Low mileage -4 door / 5 seater
- 2014 or newer
- Bonus: A hybrid or something that is very efficient on gas
Follow along as I share more throughout my car-buying journey here on the www.creatorscommune.com and share live updates on my #KijijiFind on Instagram.
This article was sponsored by Kijiji.